Another Chapter

The years just seems to pass by so quickly. I am finishing out my first and only year of Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. It was a very hard year, getting to know how these East Coasters work and talk and how to assimilate myself into their culture. Very Hard. Not to mention the fact that we lived through the worst winter this area has EVER seen... ever. 

I have now accepted a position with Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Downtown Boston. I will be commuting by train and learning the healthcare side of things. Something very new and very different from Education.... spreading my wings. 

So, this is my last week with Stonehill... we have the President's Dinner and Reunion Weekend and all next week to prep for it. I'm tired. And I don't want to do it. See, I was told... that my  "personality is too robust", that I am "too intense". Things that I am almost certain would never have been said to a male chef. I do feel like I have been discriminated against. However, they did let me know it wasn't working out and gave me a chance to find something else... I think because it wasn't anything I DID per se, and we moved all the way across the country. So, I won't make a stink. Cest la vie! MOVING ON....


We have been through a lot in our last 9 months. Just learning about the area and taking a ton of pictures. I haven't been cooking much because I usually go to work when it's dark and go home long after the sun goes down. I have however, been learning quite a bit about cooking lobster and fish. I have made "Nantucket-style" Cod, as well as Maine Lobster with drawn butter. Honestly though, most everything is pretty standard. 

There are items I have brought with me, Spinach Artichoke Dip, Chai Cheesecake, my Brown Sugar-Brandy Cured Salmon as well as my particular style: hair under a bandanna, the Ipod plugged in with Pandora blasting The Pixies, but mostly the care that goes into fostering relationships with my food and my staff.  
I love what I do. I am thankful everyday that I get to do it. 
I miss my California. The fruits, vegetables and locality of it all. I miss my family and friends, but growing up and moving away is LIFE. 
I look forward to more adventures with Steven, our
#stonerroadtrips and #newengland. 
You can follow my photography on Instagram at
"notthebeardens"
I've been pretty lucky with some of the shots:

Early Morning Deer at Stonehill


Paul Revere Square


Flea Market Caboose-no filter
So, I am opening another chapter in my life... moseying down the path of least resistance. Growing older.... but certainly NOT up!!



Comments

Popular Posts