finding my voice

It has been Mexican week this week;  I made fajitas and Chili Verde and hubby and I ate at our favorite little taco shop too. I love Mexican food. Well, let me break it down even further... I love California-Mexican food. Spending 2 years in Texas made me really appreciate the difference in Tex-Mex and Cali-Mex. To my taste buds, Cali-Mex is far superior.
Fajitas are a Tex-Mex creation too.. however, I make my own seasoning, grill the meat quick over a hot flame, slice it and finish it in cast iron. The veggies are sprinkled with the seasoning stir fried in the cast iron before the meat... the meat will pick up all the love that the veggies leave in the pan. Honestly I do it this way because the electric stove just doesn't have the flame power the grill does..may take an extra step, but so worth it.

Fajita Seasoning:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup coriander
1 tbsp smoke/mesquite seasoning powder (pick any brand of rub, Weber, Schilling etc)
1/4 cup kosher salt
mix together and keep in airtight container
limes
just rub whatever meat you are going to use (appx 1 tbsp per piece) with the seasoning and allow to sit 20 minutes before grilling. Grill quickly and squeeze limes over meat while grilling. Slice thinly (no more than 1/4in) on the bias and transfer to hot cast iron skillet. Toss with fajita veggies (zucchini, red and green bell peppers and onions thinly sliced) while finishing and serve with warmed flour tortillas. Cooking is not rocket science.. it is fun! you just have to find your own voice.

Comments

Popular Posts