A Lull...

I haven't posted in a few weeks, for that I apologize, for you see, things are not stable in my life.
Since I have not cooked for money in a over a year, it is very hard to go into the kitchen without some serious planning. And since my computer died and I turned 40, things have not been going as I have planned.

I had the last tomato last week. Warmed from the Indian Summer Sun, the skin somewhat thick and tough, it was still juicy and full of flavor. Knowing it was the last of the season, I ate it on toasted whole wheat with butter and mayonnaise, and lots of black pepper. It was amazing.

There are 3 bags of flour waiting for recipes in the refrigerator. Remember I said stuff about "Pop's" and banana box groceries? Well, I picked up King Arthur flour for $1 a bag... and how could I resist?
My mother in law owns a bread maker... but I see no use in that. Just another thing to have to wash. So, I made foccacia... It is never as good as what we made in culinary school...all liquidy pouring it out onto the well oiled sheet pan..puffy and almost breathing. I couldn't get it that way...I think since Autumn has come it was too cool in the house for a proper raise and I ended up with a less flattering foccacia. But, it's good enough to eat!! So, today I will be picking up some prosciutto and a nice Malbec or Tempranillo and we will dine al fresco with the sun setting behind us in our tiny little northern Cali town.... I will get back to some more serious stuff next week. I am menu planning as we speak  blog.

Here's a question: what would you like to see? I can do just about anything... if there is a recipe you're having issue with or a technique you can't quite get down... ask me. I am here to help. But for now.. keep on keeping on. And if someday, someone (like a great co. as Sodexo) hires me... I will keep blogging.

Comments

  1. It can be really hard to keep your energy high when you are getting more sapped than zapped. Go to the kitchen and cook...Christmas is coming and I think people are interested in unique specialty gifts. Even gift certificates for a gourmet dinner prepared by a personal chef. Can you market that?
    One think I want to do since reading a great Italian-American Memoir..."The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken" by Laura Schenone...is learn to make really good homemade ravioli's. I make them the way my mom made them and they are good, but I don't really "know" technique. I spent time in Shakelford's Kitchen supply in Napa and am coming home with a checkerboard ravioli rolling pin and a rotella. I have always just pressed them together with a fork. I want to try techniques and then...maybe...give packages of frozen ravioli to family members for Christmas as well as eating for Christmas dinner. Do you have ravioli techniques that you especially like? Do you use semolina flour in your ravioli dough? Do you grind your filling? Do you roll your dough ultra thin or do you leave some texture to it? Just curious about what works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use semolina and double zero flour, which can be found in specialty shops, double zero is primarily used for pizza dough. I roll out long sheets and use a ruler to line up where to put the filling, then cover with another long sheet of pasta and use a pastry wheel to seal and cut the pasta. I don't make it super thin as I like the raviolis to have some heft and texture. Depending on the filling too... veggies I like to leave chunky whereas meats I grind up. One of my earliest cooking memories comes from raviolis... But now that you have me in this mood...OFF to STORAGE! must find my pasta roller and pizzelle iron..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts