Bread

I have been in the mood for bread baking. The weather has changed and it seems that having the oven on is a good thing. It makes the house warm and inviting without having to have the heater blasting...plus you get the house all smelly with yeasty goodness!
Alas, bread baking has escaped me. The last two things I attempted with yeast, failed. Well, the focaccia wasn't bad, it just wasn't like I remembered. Then I attempted these Parker House rolls in the latest issue of Saveur, a recipe by Tom Colicchio. Well, they ended up like hockey pucks! I followed the recipe to the letter, but, sometimes stuff just doesn't work out. Anyhow, so I have been disappointed with the whole yeasty thing.
I found a new site: yummly.com for recipes and such. It is a pretty cool site, mainly geared towards the home cook... which is totally cool with me, because what did I start as but a home cook? I did not get to be an Executive Chef without first understanding how to feed my family.
Well, I had some molasses, basically enough for one recipe and that would warrant me purchasing more, and I had whole wheat flour... so I made this awesome Molasses Bread. No yeast involved and something that would make the house smell... seasonal.
Needless to say, this was an extremely easy recipe, quick to go together and something tasty to get me out of this funk.

Molasses Bread
found here

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar (I used brown)
1/2 cup molasses (it says "dark" but I don't know of "light" molasses)
1 1/2 cup milk (skim)

Preheat oven to 325, spray a 9x4in loaf pan with non stick spray
Sift  first 4  ingredients together, mix wet ingredients together in separate bowl. Gradually add dry to wet. Mix well, pour into prepared pan and into the oven for 1hour 20 minutes. Cool for 10 and turn out onto rack.
I tasted it right out of the oven... and I was sorta disappointed that I didn't add any ginger. But, I wrapped it in plastic and let it sit overnight on the counter, and needless to say, the next morning, it was full of sheer awesomeness! The outside had this super chewy texture, gummy sorta but in a good way and the way it was so molasses-y.. very dense and dark. It tastes great slathered in butter or cream cheese, or with peanut butter and flax seed (helps lower cholesterol, I am over 40, you know).

Oh, and I am still searching my storage unit for my pasta roller and pizzelle iron... I so need them BEFORE Christmas! But I did take 4 boxes of just pure garbage and turn it into one. Slowly, I am going to get my life in order.

By the way...I am on the Twitter, "chefconstance" if you want to follow my amusing real life tweets. Also, I made a new friend, PollenRanch.. they have sent me samples of Fennel Pollen, Dill Pollen and a rub/seasoning mix called "Big Devil", there is habenero and red chile gound up in it and WOW! it made me sneeze!! So, stuff to play with and talk about...YEA! Got me all giddy when I opened the mail today! More up coming on that fo'sho'...

Comments

Popular Posts