Warrior Fitness: Healthy Cooking Class... wait.. WHAT?

Yes, it actually happened. I taught a Healthy Cooking Class.
One of my responsibilities is two times per semester is to hold a little cooking class/demonstration for those students who signed up for Warrior Fitness (HERE). I like how it says "certified professionals"...yea, I am certified alright.
It was actually a lot of fun. I extolled the benefits of eating healthy fats and living life in moderation. I encouraged eating on the cheap and to be more adventurous in their meal choices. I also encouraged smaller portions and taking doggy bags home from restaurants. Remember, just because it's on your plate doesn't mean you need to finish it. Take it home, save it for later or feed it to the dog.
Since I am not necessarily the best person to talk about healthy cooking, I went on and checked out Giada DiLaurentis, because anyone that skinny, who eats like she does, knows a thing or two. I found a Whole Wheat pasta recipe with Lemon and Basil, took it and modified it to what I had available. The following is that modified recipe:


8 oz whole wheat penne, cooked al dente
3 cloves garlic, fresh, minced
2 tbsp Olive Oil or Canola-Olive Oil blend
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ounces white wine
4- 4oz salmon
1 tbsp M-Ocean, by Fennel Pollen
1/4 basil, fresh, chopped
1 lemon, zested
 2 oz  fresh squeezed lemon juice

Cook the pasta as directed on package, toss with olive oil and set aside. Heat the 2 tb olive oil in pan until HOT, add garlic and saute, do not brown. Season the salmon with salt, pepper and M~Ocean,  place in pan, meat side down if using skin on salmon fillet. Cook about 4 minutes and turn, cook one minute longer and remove from pan, hold warm. De-glaze the hot pan with the white wine and lemon juice and put in the basil and lemon zest. Let liquid wilt the basil and place the cooked pasta in the hot pan and toss with the Extra Virgin olive oil. Place a pile of pasta in the middle of a plate, top with salmon! Manga!!

By the way, this recipe has a little over 300 calories... add a veggie and you have a full meal for under 500 calories!!!

Comments

  1. Love pasta! Can you give me some info on assimilation and energizing effects on the body? Chef Connie, Do tell! Student Admirer Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pasta! can you give me some ideas on how I can best use it to give me energy and still not become like fat?
    What are the assimilation effects and nutrient benefits for me?
    Student Admirer,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Connie, how do you make a
    raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing? How bout'one that is creamy?
    By the way like your website!
    The food has been good, better, since you've arrived! Good talking to you at lunch!
    Bye, now Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chef Connie,
    Are you a restaurant Chef? Thought I saw you at a place in City? No? Yes? Anyhow hope your enjoying your stay here! We like it!
    Emmy and Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts