Lemon...nuff said

I read other food blogs, and I see how they all work out of similar cookbooks, and chat up each other. I have cooked very little from other blogs, utilizing them mainly to get ideas about how I should do mine. Which can be hard sometimes trying to find my voice and choosing what to discuss. But, Lemon is something that I love to work with, savory or sweet, it is one of my favorite flavors, ever.
Anyhow, this is a big time shout out to Patricia @ Technicolor Kitchen! (Brazil) Thank you for this recipe... yes, I tweaked it some: less sugar and added zest in the crust, but this is the lemon bar recipe I have searched for all my life.
I have yet to find a seriously tart lemon bar recipe until now... this makes your mouth sour.. and I LOVE IT!

Tangy Lemon Lime Bars

Crust:
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup all purpose flour
zest of 1/2 lime 
zest of 1/2 lemon

Topping:
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 eggs 
zest of one lime and one lemon.
¼ cup strained freshly squeezed lime juice
¼ cup strained freshly squeezed lemon juice
powdered sugar for dusting, optional

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8in square with aluminum foil leaving an overhang on two opposite sides. Butter the foil.

Start with the crust: in a medium bowl, combine melted butter with sugar, vanilla and salt. Add flour and mix until just incorporated. Press dough evenly over bottom of pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is fully baked, well-browned at the edges and golden brown in the center.
Now, the topping: while crust is baking, stir together sugar and flour in a large bowl until well-mixed. Whisk in eggs. Stir in zest and juices. 
When crust is ready, reduce heat to 300°F, slide rack with pan out and pour filling onto hot crust. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until topping no longer jiggles when pan is tapped.

Remove from oven to a wire rack to cool completely. Lift up foil liner and transfer bars to a cutting board. Using a long, sharp knife, cut bars into 16  bars and sift powdered sugar over bars, if desired. Stored in an airtight container, bars can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Makes 16 

There will be more lemony recipes coming too. Lemon is my kryptonite... but I don't care for lemonade (figure that one out), but a glass of Lemoncello over ice!! W00T!
Thank you again to Technicolor Kitchen as well to Alice Medrich’s "Pure Dessert"
from which these originally came.

Best Lemon Bars, Ever!

Comments

Popular Posts